Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Raven


The Raven
 
The raven steps out of the swirling mist
Orbs of darkness stare at me, contemplating a list
Gazing into my soul, it’s time to tell the world I don’t belong
The turn of his head at this thought, tells me I am not wrong
Throwing my head back I try to understand the game life plays
If not through the wasted years, then now at the end of my days
Twisted and bent in agony, of whom or what I betrayed
Palm outstretched, his feet and sharp talons he laid
Flashes of my life blaze by my eyes in fast motion
My head turns and twists, in a restless commotion
Screaming at the useless memories that keep replaying
My brain, bit by bit continues its mind flaying
Dark thoughts, dark dreams, and dark images from me they steal
His nail sinks into my bosom . . . I bleed to feel
Eyes welling, body quivering, the pain is too much to endure
The reward, the pleasure of truly knowing myself, he promises to insure
Without pain, how do you know if you have experienced pleasure?
Without pleasure, how much pain can you suffer and measure?
Kneeling down, head bent, and eyes closed with nothing to see
I whisper as I fade away . . . you will suffer me, this I guarantee.