Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Graveyard- A sadness I witnessed


The Graveyard

An elderly was man standing at a graveyard gate
Screaming and sobbing at the sight of the lock
Shaking the bars with his quivering hands, he shows his hate
“Why?” I ask myself as I drive around the block

Is he lost and confused this time of night?
Is he eager to rush to his fate?
Is he curious to see the newly departed souls come to light?
Or…is he simply looking for his life-long mate?

Lost and confused, he is all alone
Wishing it had been him that left this earth
His wife’s body was laid to rest earlier today, her name was all he could moan.
To lie beside her once more, he’d give all he had of worth

Not even knowing this couple, I could feel his pain
Driving by at five a.m, and seeing him so desperately trying to get in
A single tear feel down my cheek as I pulled off to the side of the lane
All he wanted was her back, the way things had been.

Outside a graveyard gate, an elderly man stood
Weeping and crying for his lost love, trying to remember all he could.