Friday, August 3, 2018

The Originals- RIP Aug. 1, 2018 (Possible Spoilers)


Is it, 91 or 92 hours of my life spanning over 5 years devoted to watching the Originals?  Mainly because of Klaus or if we use his proper name; Niklaus Mikaelson. This man, werewolf, or hybrid captured me when he appeared in The Vampire Diaries, in which this was a spin off from. (and much better in my opinion!)
To some Klaus was a villain, an evil, a monster, even a plague that just wouldn't die. 





Yes, yes, yes, Klaus had his flaws and he let them show on multiple occasions over the years.  Like a lot of us though, he had layers; deep emotions, affectionate feelings, and love that he kept locked away deep in his heart and soul.   His vulnerability emerged more often after the birth of his daughter Hope. At first I liked seeing the more vulnerable side of Klaus, and just as fast as my feelings about it started, they ended.  I knew what Klaus was on the inside....not the facade he liked to pose for others. He was an immortal heathen and above all placed great emphasis on honor, personal integrity, and loyalty.  With that being said, least we forget my second favorite Mikaelson; Elijah! Elijah was the calmer, refined, elegant, old-fashioned, and understanding sibling of Klaus, even being his half sibling. (Esther; their mother had an affair with a werewolf, which resulted in Klaus becoming the hybrid that Mikael; their father hated so much! Ya know, the age old feud between vampires and werewolves.)


 Don't be confused though, Elijah was still an immortal and he did his fair share of killing, without hesitation when the situation called for it. He possessed the same morals and ethics of Klaus, the only difference was, he didn't hide them away.  Elijah had an undying and deep loyalty to Klaus, that stemmed from their childhood. With as many times as Klaus had staked and locked all his siblings up in coffins for decades at times, Elijah would always stand by his side.  This bond, and brotherly love made me fall for Elijah, just as much as I had for Klaus. 

So, here I am 5 years later and on the series final season. (Which in itself made me very depressed!)
*Off topic- maybe there is a truth to the saying, "Girls love bad boys!- makes one think* 
So we fast-forwarded from episode 1 and Hope is a teenage witch. Her hybrid curse has not been triggered because she has not killed anyone.  The daughter of a werewolf; Hayley and Klaus.
I am not going into every detail of this season, but several tragedies happen, all stemming from the actions of Hope. Knowing the Mikaelson's as I do, nothing will stop them from protecting the youngest in the family. I was preparing for a ending I wouldn't be happy with, but not one I am down-right pissed about! 

I know demographics probably don't [want to] include my age group, and they want a younger generation to get hooked that can carry the industry for 10-12 years. (Yeah, I stole that from Deadpool!  Won't be the last time, guaranteed!) I mean, just look at what all is out there; Harry Potter trilogy, Lord of the Rings, Fantastic Beasts, etc. 
Grown ass women and men love these too, you steaming piles of dog doo-doo!

So here we have it....


   Klaus sacrificed himself for his daughter.  She was possessed with a dark magic that was out of control and could not be removed. (Firstly, we are in New Orleans!  The home of some of the most powerful witches in the world. Secondly, seriously?  Why?  Have we not already lost enough???)
Klaus needed redemption for his actions through the course of his immortal life, and with Hayley being gone, he did what I think, any truly loving father would do for his child. (Even if we, the audience hate it!) He took the magic into himself, with the help of a couple siphon witches because Hope accidentally killed a man, and during that first full Moon, the transformation would have killed her.  His selfless actions were quite noble, honorable, and showed his deep love for his daughter, which was rarely something we witnessed since her birth. 
Klaus, truly and honestly showed a human side and proved himself, not a monster as so many knew or thought him to be.

Now we skip to Elijah...


His loyalty to his brother did not falter, even at the very end. He has always set out to prove that Klaus could be redeemed. When he says 'Always and Forever' he meant it. Centuries of standing by his brother through everything and seeing that bond, I still didn't have myself prepared for this! He just couldn't let his brother go alone into the unknown. He took the one and only item that could kill them; a white oak stake and broke it in half. (I would like to add, that when he handed Klaus a half of it, he handed him the blunt ends one. You will read why this particular action sticks out in my mind so powerfully) They sat on a bench talking about the past, present, and future until it was time, time that became no more.  They stood up, facing each other and placed the wood over each other's hearts. Klaus is holding the blunt one, and Elijah is holding the sharpened one. (Making the pain less for his brother because it will enter his heart easier!) 

 Together, they stake the other and begin to turn to dust as they stand looking at one another.


 "In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone." is something Klaus had said more than once.  I think part of him actually believed it, even knowing the undying loyalty from his brother. It was enduring to see just how wrong he was.  

Here is what I have to say to that, in the words of Deadpool...


I love the sentiment, the brotherly love, the always and forever attitude, and integrity of their actions, but I'll be damned if there was not another way this could have ended!
I know they are starting a new series; Legacies, that stars Hope for the younger audience, but as I said before, grown ass women and men love these supernatural based shows too! 
Based on that knowledge, if they had wrote the ending another way, Klaus may have one day seen his daughter graduate school and/or fall in love and get married. 
 (You know, all that mushy stuff) 
I'm not saying they had to continue the Originals, I am saying however, given a little brainstorming they could have done a little more 'original' ending so the Mikaelson brothers possibly could make cameo appearances later in Legacies. 
So, that is my tribute to The Originals. The brothers I have so dearly enjoyed for years.  May you Rest in Peace.