Sunday, April 8, 2018

Creative Writing- 3 Elements Prompt

  Today is the day, we are finally heading to the zoo.  I have waited all month for my birthday road trip.  It wasn’t a long drive, only a couple hours but we never get time away to go anywhere hardly, so it makes it even more special. As we approached the big city that housed the zoo, a large open backed truck was in the lane beside us. It was the kind of truck you would see on a safari transporting wild animals from one area to another. As I peered closer, I saw eyes peering back at me.  It was the cutest little chimpanzee in the back of the truck, nestled in a pile of hay and playing with an orange. 
“Honey look!  There’s a chimpanzee!  I wonder if its new home is going to be at the zoo?” I excitedly asked.
Chuckling, my husband replied, “I don’t know.  Why don’t you ask him?”
I rolled down my window and yelled at the little chimpanzee while we waited for the light to change at the busy intersection.
“Hey little fella, you going to a new home?” I screamed while laughing.
Everything went black….
“Sarah, can you hear me?”
“Sarah, open your eyes. Say something. Sarah?”
I could hear the pleas from my husband, and my name from a voice I did not recognize.  I slowly opened my eyes to be blinded by a bright light shining in them. I felt a finger holding my eye lid open and a sharp pain on the right side of my head.
“Ouch!  What in the hell happened Bob?” I requested as painlessly as I could.
“You don’t remember? Oh, god doctor, is that normal?  Is she okay?” he rambled on nervously.
“I remember saying hi to the chimpanzee in the back of that truck beside us, then waking up here in the emergency room with blaring pain on the right side of my head, and no memory of what happened.” I calmly stated as I tried to sit up.
“Can someone explain to me how this happened to the patient?” the doctor asked.
“I guess I will have to because my wife can’t seem to remember.  We were headed to the zoo and at a stop light we saw a truck beside us with a little chimpanzee in the back.  My wife rolled down her window to say hi to it.  She loves animals.  The little monkey had a whole bag of oranges apparently because he started throwing them at my wife. One after another, and before she or I could get the window rolled up, three had hit her on the temple. She passed out.  I stopped the car, and so did the man driving the chimpanzee truck and as I was calling 911, and trying to wake my wife up the driver came over and told me that they were taking Pong, the award winning orange-ball pitcher chimpanzee away from the zoo because he was becoming a danger to the patrons. That is when the ambulance showed up and brought us here.” Bob explained to the doctor.
“Well, that has to be the most unusual incident I have seen to date in this ER.  Your wife will be fine. She doesn’t appear to have a concussion, but to be on the safe side just keep her awake for at least 8 hours.” he said with a slight chuckle in his voice.
Bob grabbed me by the hand and helped me out of bed, and to the car.  In the seat where I was sitting for hours excitedly waiting to reach the zoo, was a bag of oranges.
“Oh, Pong said he was sorry! Still wanna go to the zoo?” Bob snickered as he got behind the wheel.